The basics of applying data science to solve clean technology problems
Have you ever wondered how AI, machine learning and data science can be applied effectively to solve problems facing the planet today? Our free courses introduce you to different clean technology sectors (energy, water, agriculture, sustainability, and climate among others) where data science is being used, give you a quick look at career paths and companies where data science is being applied in clean tech and get you started on your path to applying AI for the planet.
These courses form the basis towards understanding advanced algorithms, models and programming for each specific clean technology sector.
These foundational courses will always be free and you will be notified of additional material as we add it. We believe that solving the planet's problems needs all the tools we can use and are excited to help you get started making a difference!
1. Clean Technology Meets Data Science: A white paper that introduces the different clean tech sectors, data science tools that are being used in each sector and an estimate of the market and potential growth in coming years.
2. Careers in Clean Technology and Data Science: A short video course introducing the different roles, career pathways, tools and organizations that a clean technology data scientist may be interested in.
3. Getting Started with Data Science: A short video course for professionals in clean technology fields who are interested in understanding how they can use data science in their fields. It's an introduction to different tools, applications and problem solving with data science.
4. The Clean Tech Data Scientist's Essential Toolkit: A short report with all the programs, algorithms and tools that anyone working in clean tech and applying data science needs.
5. Introduction to Python: Installing and writing simple programs in Python, the most commonly used language for data scientists
Starting October 2020:
Live workshops every month where we'll discuss market for data science in different clean technology sectors - companies, startups, funding, jobs and skills.
October 9th, 2020: Data Science in Agriculture - an overview of the market and jobs
November 11th, 2020: Water and data science - the market, companies, funding and jobs
December 18th, 2020: Data Science in the Energy Sector - the market, companies, jobs and skills
Coming soon in March 2021: Data Science and Climate - an overview of the market and technologies
Gayathri is an award-winning scientist who has been pioneering the integration of clean technology and data science since 2003. She worked in large organizations, including Facebook, Argonne National Laboratory, several Silicon Valley startups and is the recipient of numerous national and international awards. As a scientist, her work has been recognized by the US National Academies of Science and Engineering for innovative environmental research and she was invited by the White House in 2014 to participate in the conference on innovation in clean technology and big data. As an engineer and data scientist, she built the data infrastructure, including data pipelines, dashboards and algorithms, for several startups. She received her PhD in Environmental Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and her Bachelors in Civil Engineering from BITS, Pilani, India.